Tuesday, November 23, 2010

thanksgiving vs. christmas.


thanksgiving.

 This is one of my favorite times of the year. I love it for many reasons. Growing up in Minnesota it was for the snow, my mom's cooking, and the fact that Christmas was right around the corner. Ever since I've gone to college though, it's been hard to enjoy some of those things. It's been nice to have family here in Utah though to be able to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with, but I still miss my Mom's Thanksgiving cooking.

One thing though that seems to make it's appearance each year, earlier than the last, is the playing of Christmas music. For the longest time I hated it. I always felt bad for Thanksgiving thinking "why is this holiday getting jipped?" Plus I refused to play Christmas until after I had had my fill of turkey and football.

It wasn't until the other day when in fact I started listening to Christmas music in the car that I realized Thanksgiving and Christmas go hand-in-hand...

Thanksgiving is all about being thankful, right? Well, I thought what is one of the things I am most grateful for this year? The answer came quick: my Savior Jesus Christ. That's what Christmas is about. Celebrating the birth of Him who created all things. Him who performed such a loving act ac giving of His own life so that we may have ours. What an amazing thing to be Thankful for!


So, this is not to say that I'm going to start listening to Christmas music the second it turns November 1st (because we know the Utah radio stations like to start it then...maybe it's the sugar coma from the night before that does it to them?), but I am saying that from now on I'm going to celebrate the meaning of Christmas along with Thanksgiving. Why not celebrate such a wonderful blessing for more than a month? I think it's a good idea!
So here is to a happy Thanksgiving and Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment